You will find below an information how to get Bulgarian ID if you are an European citizen. If you are not an European citizen, but you are a family member of the latter, you are entitled to get Bulgarian ID, too. For example, if a French citizen is married to Indian citizen, both of them will get Bulgarian ID cards. No matter which one of certificates they apply for, they will receive also PNF.
What if you are an EU citizen?
According to Bulgarian law, an European citizen has the right to enter and reside in Republic of Bulgaria up to 3 months. For that period, the EU citizen does not need any visas. Only valid national passport or national ID. But if the EU citizen wants to stay longer period, he has to apply for long-term residence permit (up to 5 years) or permanent residence permit (no time limit).
What if you are an EU citizen family member?
Family member is one of these persons:
- spouse or de facto partner of the EU citizen;
- child of the EU citizen, which has not reached the age of 21 or is a dependent of him, or a child of a person under first letter;
- parent of the EU citizen, who is dependent on the EU citizen or on a person under first letter.
If you are not an EU citizen, but you are one of the aforenamed EU citizen family members, you have the same rights as the EU citizen. That means, you are entitled to enter and reside in Bulgaria for the period of up to 3 months. For that period, you do not need any visas. Only valid national passport or national ID.
What if you want to live in Bulgaria?
If you want to stay and live in Bulgaria for more than 3 months, you have to apply for long-term residence certificate. Both the EU citizen and his family member have this right. The EU citizen has to meet one of the following requirements:
- to be an employee of self-employed in Bulgaria;
- to have health insurance and the necessary financial funds to cover the costs of his stay and those of his family member, without being a burden on Bulgarian social system;
- to be a student in Bulgarian university, or
- in some other specific cases like: he is a temporarily incapacitated due to illness or accident, he is registered as unemployed in Bulgarian after working an year in Bulgarian, etc.
The EU citizen and his family member have the right to apply for long-term residence permit. Thе certificate of long-term residence is issued for a period of up to 5 years by Bulgarian Migration Directorate. Remember! If the family member is temporarily absent from Bulgaria for more than 6 months within 1 year, or is absent from Bulgaria for valid reasons for more than 12 consecutive months, the period of residence will be reduced or the family member will lose the long-term residence certificate.Also, if the EU citizen dies, the right of long-term residence of his family members, who are not citizens of the EU, shall not be affected if they resided in Bulgaria at least 1 year before his death.
What if you want to live in Bulgaria more than 5 years?
In that case, you can apply for permanent residence permit or Bulgarian ID. Permanent residence certificate is issued with no time limit by Bulgarian Migration Directorate. An important condition is that you are entitled to apply for permanent residence certificate only if you have legally resided continuously for 5 years in Bulgaria or if you meet one of the below-listed conditions. Both the EU citizen and his family member have the right to apply. The conditions are as follow:
- you have worked in Bulgaria during the last 1 year (or you have reached retirement age) and you have continuously resided in Bulgaria more than 3 years;
- you are an employee or self-employed person, who cannot work due to permanently reduced working capacity, and you have continuously resided in Bulgaria for more than 2 years;
- you are an employee or self-employed person and your working incapacity is a result of accident at work or an occupational disease;
- you are an employee or a self-employed person, who have continuously resided and worked in Bulgaria for the last 3 years and also, you work as such in another EU Member State, retaining your place of residence in Bulgaria and returning to it at least once a week.
Remember! No matter which one of the certificates the EU citizen receives, his family member will be issued the same for the same period. By applying for long-term or permanent residence permit, you receive Bulgarian ID and Bulgarian PNF. If you need any legal help in front of Migration offices or any legal help when preparing, filling and submitting the required documents, do not hesitate to contact us through our CONTACT FORM HERE.